Regularly in the summer, the numerous open air cinemas with a variety of program highlights enjoy great popularity, both with visitors to Vienna and with locals.
We have summarized some of the most popular summer cinemas for you below:
Volxkino (changing locations)
Probably the most unusual, because the only traveling open-air cinema in Vienna is the “Volxkino” to find on changing locations between municipal buildings, Viennese markets, parks or metro stations taking place for over 30th years! Shown are Austrian and international feature films, documentaries, short films and animated films.
- Where: changing venues !
- When: July 01th – September 18th 2020
- Admission: Free
- Info and Programm: Volxkino
Kino am Dach (Hauptbücherei Wien)
Already for the 17th time, the roof of Vienna’s Mainlibrary at the Gürtel will again be transformed into the highest open-air cinema in Vienna. Austrian productions are on the program as well as blockbusters, science fiction and film classics. Films partly German, partly original with subtitles. In case of bad weather the event is canceled. No box office – online booking necessary!
- Where: 07. district, Gürtel/Urban-Loritz-Platz 2a
- When: June 18th – September 27th 2020
- Admission: EUR 10,00 per Person / discounted EUR 9,00 per Person
- Info and Programm: Kino am Dach
Kino wie noch nie (Wiener Augarten)
One of the most beautiful open-air cinemas in Vienna, the “cinema like never before” is located in the middle of the Viennese Augarten. The Filmarchiv Austria, in cooperation with the Viennale, presents current Austrian and international productions as well as numerous classics. Program title this year: “Vienna like never before”. Culinary delights from local suppliers at the Kinoheuriger Grünspan complete the offer. Films in OV with German or English subtitles. No box office – online booking necessary!
- Where: 02. district, Garten Filmarchiv Austria, Obere Augartenstraße 1
- When: July 09th – August 16th 2020
- Admission: EUR 8,50 per Person / dicounted EUR 7,– per Person
- Info and Programm: Kino wie noch nie
dotdotdot (Volkskundemuseum Laudongasse)
In the immediate vicinity of our Hotel Zipser, every Thursday & Friday in the Garden Folklore Museum, the short film festival takes place in the open air again. In addition to the short films, the program also includes film talks with international guests, workshops and performances. In case of bad weather the event is canceled. No box office – online booking necessary!
- Where: 08. district, Laudong. 15-19
- When: July 05th – August 25th 2020 (each Wednesday, Thursday & Friday)
- Admission: EUR 8,50 per Person / EUR 10,50 / discounted EUR 6,50 per Person
- Info and Programm: dotdotdot
Contribution Picture: © Stadt Wien Marketing