Regularly in the summer, the numerous open air cinemas with a variety of program highlights enjoy great popularity, both with visitors to Vienna and with locals. We have summarized some of the most popular summer cinemas for you below:
Volxkino (changing locations)
Probably the most unusual, because the only traveling open-air cinema in Vienna is the “Volxkino” to find this place on changing locations between municipal buildings, Viennese markets, parks or metro stations this year for the 30th time! Shown are Austrian and international feature films, documentaries, short films and animated films.
- Where: changing venues !
- When: May 24th – September 16th 2019
- Admission: Free
- Info and Programm: Volxkino
Kino am Dach (Hauptbücherei Wien)
Already for the 16th time, the roof of Vienna’s Mainlibrary at the Gürtel will again be transformed into the highest open-air cinema in Vienna. Austrian productions are on the program as well as blockbusters, science fiction and film classics. Films partly German, partly original with subtitles.
- Where: 07. district, Gürtel/Urban-Loritz-Platz 2a
- When: June 06th – September 08th 2019
- Admission: EUR 8,50 per Person / discounted EUR 7,50 per Person
- Info and Programm: Kino am Dach
Kino wie noch nie (Wiener Augarten)
One of the most beautiful open-air cinemas in Vienna, the “cinema like never before” is located in the middle of the Viennese Augarten. The Filmarchiv Austria, in cooperation with the Viennale, presents current Austrian and international productions as well as numerous classics. Program focus this year: “50th anniversary of the moon landing”. The Cinema Sessions set classic silent films to music with extraordinary live music. Culinary delights in organic quality of the “Grüner Gartenküche” complete the offer. Films in OV with German or English subtitles.
- Where: 02. district, Garten Filmarchiv Austria, Obere Augartenstraße 1
- When: June 27th – August 25th 2019
- Admission: EUR 8,50 per Person / dicounted EUR 7,– per Person
- Info and Programm: Kino wie noch nie
dotdotdot (Volkskundemuseum Laudongasse)
In the immediate vicinity of the hotel, every Thursday & Friday in the Garden Folklore Museum, the short film festival takes place in the open air again. In addition to the short films, the program also includes film talks with international guests, workshops and performances. In case of bad weather in the Great Hall of the museum.
- Where: 08. district, Laudong. 15-19
- When: July 31th – August 30th 2019 (each Wednesday, Thursday & Friday)
- Admission: free donation
- Info and Programm: dotdotdot
Kino im Kammergarten (Unteres Belvedere)
Under the theme “Grünblick” (“Green View”), films about blooming, growing, and flourishing will be presented for the third time in the Kammergarten of the Lower Belvedere.
- Where: 03. district, Rennweg 6
- When: August 01th – August 25th 2019
- Admission: with valid ticket for the Lower Belvedere or Belvedere Annual Pass
- Info and Programm: Kino im Kammergarten
Contribution Picture: © Stadt Wien Marketing