From November 13th to December 26th 2020, the Vienna Town Hall Square will be transformed for over 30 years every year in a unique Viennese Christmas dream! This year, however, under very special conditions and safety measures.
Due to the lockdown, the opening of the Advent markets has been postponed to the beginning of December!
Magic of advent in a dreamlike setting
Every year again! As soon as the temperatures drop and the days get shorter, longs to be back to hot punch, cotton candy, flickering lights and Christmas decorations. The Christmas Market (Christkindlmarket) in front of the Vienna Town Hall is one of the fixed highlights before Christmas for tourists, as well as for visitors from Vienna and Vienna surroundings. Delicious warming punch, gingerbread, candied fruit, roasted almonds and many other Christmas delicacies enchant the visitors. And for those who are still looking for a Christmas present, there are many wonderful, some unusual and also crafted products of about 125 stalls to buy.
All of this can be found in the fantastically romantic setting between the Viennese Town Hall and the Burgtheater. In the middle of the market, a huge and brightly lit Christmas tree enthrones every year and let children’s eyes ashine and makes young-hearted hearts beat faster. The tree is a gift from one of Austria’s federal states. He will be as always admire to January 6 at the Town Hall Square.
The facade of the Viennese town hall, inspired by the tradition of Flemish Gothic town halls, turns every year in Advent into an oversized, enchantingly lit Advent calendar, where every day a whole window is revealed instead of a door. On the left side of the Rathauspark, the “Little Ice Dream” allows visitors to skate on a 3,000m2 ice surface, while on the right side of the park visitors can look forward to an atmospherically decorated and illuminated Christmas world including the popular “Herzerlbaum”.
A prevention concept applies to all Christmas markets:
- Mouth and nose protection applies to visitors and employees
- A minimum distance of 1 meter must be maintained in front of the stands, at bar tables (max. 4 people, mask may be removed for consumption) and throughout the market area.
- Disinfectant dispensers at the entrances and regular hand hygiene
- One-way regulations & stewardship services as well as traffic light regulations for the Christmas dream on Rathausplatz
Find out more about “Christmas Markets in Vienna” here.
- When: 13.11 – 26.12 | Sun – Thu 11:00 am – 09:30 pm, Fri – Sat 11:00 am – 10:00 pm
24.12 | 11:00 am – 07:00 pm, 25.12 – 26.12 | 11:00 am – 09:30 pm
- Where: Rathausplatz, 1010 Vienna
- Information: Vienna Christmas Dream
Pictures: © Wien Tourismus-Christian Stemper